Resolutions? To-do lists? Goals? What do you choose to call them?
This year I’m going with Projects. I’ve spent the last two years as a project manager and this is where I feel the most comfortable. Resolution always feels so HUGE and daunting. Projects can be huge ; however they are broken down into steps or stages for completion. I know for a fact I can juggle multiple projects. And I feel accomplishment by completing different stages/tasks for a project.
Project #1 – Be nicer to myself. I am incredibly hard on myself. I am harder on myself than I would ever be on anyone else. I hold myself to complete unrealistic expectations. I have a great vision of who I should be and when my actual actions don’t meet that vision, I give myself one heck of a talking to! I’m going to do this by:
- Setting more realistic expectations for everything in my life.
- Forgive myself quickly when I don’t meet those expectations. No one is perfect.
- My past is just that, past. Why relive it? I can’t do anything about it. Just forgive, find the lesson and move on. Stop analyzing past events – pushing people away, staying too long, missing an opportunity. If it was supposed to be, it would be. Letting go will be huge for me this year.
- Be true to myself. (See Project #2)
Project #2 – Be true to myself and like myself for who I am. Sounds simply, huh? I’ve been trapped in this mindset that I have to be more than I am which leads me to making plans that I don’t want to keep, which leads to anxiety and then beat myself up (Project #1). This vicious cycle has to stop. Below are some things I need to learn to embrace and be proud of because they are ME:
- I’m a homebody. And I’m happy being a homebody. I’m happy to stay home, watch a movie, read a book, chat with friends, etc. When I am alone, I am not lonely (most of the time). It really is ok.
- I don’t have 400 friends who want to hang out all the time and I am A-OK with this. I have a handful of amazing true friends that would be there for me in a second and I would for them. I do need to make a more conscious effort to see them/reach out more in 2012.
- I do like to go out – lunch, dinner, drinks, movies, etc. I’m no longer a “clubber”. I don’t want to drink so much I can’t function the next day. Small, intimate gatherings are perfect. Outings with a purpose – such as watching My Kentucky Wildcats win another NCAA championship on the big screen at a local pub, celebrating birthdays, weddings, psychic readings etc.
- I like to sleep. No, it’s not depression, just sleep. And currently, I’m unemployed. If I want to sleep until 11 every day, I will. And I will still get everything done that I need to – promise!
- I’m a planner! I’m OCD sometimes. Love it or don’t – it is what it is. And sometimes I get that overwhelmed by to do lists, it happens. Sometimes I try to take over (the world), it happens.
- I eat like crap. I love cheese, queso, bread, wine, beer, cookies, pizza, diet coke – I could go on here all day. I will never be vegan or vegetarian. I know I should try to eat better. And I do eat better. Sometimes. And that’s probably how it will stay, for now.
- I hate dating. I’m taking my profiles off of the multiple dating websites that are doing me absolutely no good. I’m going to trust that when my Prince Charming is ready for me, he’ll find me.
Project #3 – Run like the wind! Or at least a gently breeze. And do lots of other workouts too!
- I will run a race every month (except January).
- My goal pace is a 12 minute mile.
- I will take 40-60 minutes off my half marathon pace. Currently it’s 3:23 (I walked most of it.) I’d like to finish the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May with a time of 2:23 – 2:40.
- I will run a 5k in 35 minutes or less. I’m currently at 41.01.
- I will purchase new shoes before I start hard-core training in February. Shoes made specifically for running.
- I will log 500 miles in 2012 with my fancy new Garmin 405.
- I will attend 100 fitness classes. (I pay for the stupid gym – might as well use it!)
Project #4 – Grow this fancy little blog. And by grow, I mean let someone else know about it besides my mom. (HI MOM!!)
- I will blog 2-4 times a week.
- I will determine the actual theme of this blog – fitness, weight-loss, random pam-isms. So many possibilities.
- I will figure out how to get noticed, gain followers – I have no idea who to do this but I will figure it out. Maybe I’ll even blog about it! HA!
- I will comment on at least 5 other blogs per week.
- I will become a better writer. I’m sure there are tons of errors in these posts and I will get better! (This is my plea to keep reading through my grammatical errors. Thanks!)
Project #5 – Find a job/gainful employment/go back to school/move out-of-state/decide not to move out-of-state/stop living in the land of limbo. (Don’t worry mom, these projects are not in order of importance!) The limbo has to stop. I need a clear direction.
- I will have clear direction by February 1, 2012. Promise.
As I reread this, I noticed two themes that I typically resolve in January that are not specifically included this year – Weight loss and love. I’ve decided these will come. Once I’m right with me, the rest will follow.
2012 is the year of the Pam! Hope you stick around to see the completed projects!
What are your resolutions, goals, to-dos, projects? Do you make them? Do you stick to them?
Pingback: Define Victory « Just the Left Bean
Pingback: 2012 Project List – Update « Just the Left Bean
Pingback: Not Too Shabby 2012 | Just the Left Bean